“You’re pretty for a black girl…”
and other rude comments made…
So here I am sitting at Spot Coffee with 2 friends of mine and the topic of interracial dating comes up between black women and white men. The situation here was over my friend Alyssa (black) being approached and pursued by a white male that ultimately ended when he said that dreaded sentence “your really pretty for black chick…”
As soon as she said it Jen (white) and I both dropped our mouths and laughed hysterically! As a black woman I’ve been there and found it pretty freaking funny after finding it insulting. And it shouldnt be about race but the root of it all is. I mean otherwise the comment ” Your pretty for a black girl…” would never be said. I can tell you now that it strikes anger in any black woman who hears this. It’s NOT a compliment its an insult! Black and pretty don’t go together? Oh dear god save us all. It prompted question the big “Why”..Some views…
Here are some racist things that commenter Black&German and her friends have heard white men say to them as black women:
- The best thing about black women is their asses. Is it true you like anal?
- I prefer black women because white women are such prudes.
- I like black women. Just not the ghetto ones.
- What do you mean you don’t want to date me? You should be happy I even asked!
- How about we get to know each other a little better? You know, go to my place. No? What if I pay you?
- I’ve always wanted to know what it’s like to do it with a black girl.
- I don’t usually like black women but you’re different. You’ve got class.
- Don’t go acting all uppity.
- Oh, God. My dad would totally kill me if he knew I was talking to you.
- You know, if I knocked you up our babies would look white.
The last one (about babies) was actually after dating him for a few weeks, sitting in a nice restaurant. I nearly choked to death on my pasta. What the hell was he thinking? I didn’t stay to find out.
I’d heard that some white men think that black women are whores but I thought that just meant “easy”. I didn’t know that they assumed we were actually prostitutes. And that the “nice” looking ones are just expensive prostitutes. The first time I was propositioned I just stared like a deer in the headlights. I thought it was a bad joke, or something.
I once had a drunk guy in a bar stick ten dollars in my pants and ask me to dance for him. Umm… Sure, honey. Just let me find that pole I always carry with me…
Although I must admit I’ve had black men make some similarly – ahem – inappropriate comments, as well.
The most amazing thing is where some of these comments were made. Like in the hallway outside of a database management seminar or at the company Christmas party. Some men have no shame.
A Response to this: